Since the dawn of social media, people have been flocking to websites to share anything they could – posts, photos, links, favorites, etc. The marketing gurus of the Internet found a way to use this popularity. They created social media optimization.
Social media optimization [SMO] is an umbrella term that covers every marketing strategy and technique that requires or uses social media websites such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. They use this particular medium because more and more people are getting into social networking to connect with friends, former classmates, colleagues, and groups which share their interests.
Now that social media has become more powerful than ever, marketers should also be updated with the latest trends, techniques and tricks which would further improve this particular niche. Here are a few guidelines:
• Always check out what’s hot and what’s not – Unlike blogging where you can place any kind of content you like, SMO requires fresh and interesting issues and topics. If you post something in social media websites that does not catch the fancy of your target audience, they would most likely skip your post or page and move on.
• SMO should go hand in hand with content marketing – Content has been considered ‘king’ for many years when it comes to internet marketing. And while others have moved on, no one can still ignore the fact that consumers look for content – valuable and unique content. Make sure your content rocks and you will surely get more views, likes or shares in your social media hubs.
• Foster and maintain interactions – Audience or visitor interaction is a feature that is significantly highlighted in SMO. As the owner of a particular page, you should value every comment, like or question you come across. That just means somebody is in fact reading or following your page.
• Look for potential subscribers and followers – Do not be content if you hit the 1,000/5,000/10,000 mark when it comes to likes, followers or subscribers. You should always be on the lookout for others whom you can add to that list.
• Use discussions to analyze the trend – Discussions and comment threads are not just there for nothing. You have to find a way to digest the bits of pieces to find out more about what they want, what interests them, and ultimately, what will sell.
Keeping afloat in the internet marketing industry would be much easier this year if you keep these reminders in mind. In addition, the mobile market is also continuing to make its presence felt in SEO and SMO. This means more people may be visiting your pages through their mobile phones instead of a laptop or desktop computer. If you want to remain in the competition you should also start a slow but good transition to mobile marketing.
It is always a great thing to know that there are a lot of ways to promote your website and improve your web presence not just thru blogs. Now, you can make your mark in social networking sites so people will know that you are “one of them”. You just need to make sure that you get the recent updates right away so as not to be left behind. The techniques and tips given above will surely help you come a long way in the SMO and SEO industry.
The Author: Chris Richardson works as a social media specialist in an IT firm in the United States. He is currently a member of an international group that is always updated with the latest trends, news and happenings in SEO, and the internet marketing industry.